Now, as Tiger finished his 18th hole, he left the course by himself. His wife has not officially filed for divorce, and reports are that they are trying to work things out. No one is perfect, people can change, and I hope that they can make it work. However, it was very evident that Tiger was alone on the course Sunday, with only his fans to cheer him on.
Here is where it gets good. Phil Mikelson's wife was diagnosed with breast cancer last Summer. Upon receipt of the news Phil walked away from golf to support her, and help her through the difficult treatment. He was with her every step of the way. Yesterday, as Phil got to his last few holes, his wife emerged on the sidelines. She had spent the better part of the week in bed, recovering from her chemo. But as she began to realize that her husband was going to win one of the most prestigious golf tournaments in the world she had to be there to support him. As Phil sank his last hole, which by the way was a birdie, you could see the elation in his eyes. The same eyes who no doubt had spent countless sleepless nights with his wife, wondering about the uncertainty of the future, and whether or not she would be with him to raise their beautiful kids. As Phil exited the course, the first person he went to was her. They embraced for what seemed an eternity, and you could see the tears flowing from both of their eyes. They had seen so much in the past year, so much trial and so little hope. But yesterday Phil was victorious, and together they were victorious. Watching golf yesterday taught me a lesson that I believe will stay with me for a while. Love is about being there for each other. Love is about supporting each other. Love is loyal. Love is true. I am thankful that I was able to watch this yesterday, I believe that this was a lesson the Lord wanted me to receive as I prepare to marry Allison, the love of my life, in just over one month from now. I loved the contrast of Tiger leaving the field alone and Phil with his wife, happy. Tiger had been selfish, self-centered, and disrespectful to the woman of his life, and he was left alone on the field. I love Allison, more than anything, I am going to be like Phil, I am going to be the greatest husband ever.
Dallin
2 comments:
I heard about this, but I didn't know his wife had cancer!
Lincoln and I talked about this post...I loved it. It's crazy to see the differences in these two golfers' lives!
Post a Comment