Friday, June 12, 2009

Greetings from the BYU bubble...


I talked to Dallin yesterday after he had been lucky enough to go online for about an hour. He must have checked this blog and saw that I hadn't yet posted anything. He said, "You know when I made my blog into our blog, that meant that you would actually be able to post to it!". So here it goes, I've never had a blog, but I've looked at some of my friends' and it looks like a great way to let people know what is going on in your life, as well as do some self-reflecting.

My current overwhelming thought for that past month or so, is... I MISS DALLIN! This past month has been especially hard because we haven't been able to video chat at all, just talk on the phone. And there are some days when we can't even talk on the phone because the cell service is so shotty where Dallin is. It has been tough not being able to talk to my best friend who have been able to talk to pretty much everyday since last September.

For those of you who don't know, Dallin is currently at Camp Buckner in New York. The camp lies on many acres of land near the Westpoint campus. It is an intense 3 week training where they practice a host of infantry skills. For the past couple of weeks he has been trudging through the wilderness, performing mock missions, practicing shooting, riding helicopters, and guarding stuff. It sounds like he is doing really cool and exciting stuff, but it is actually really hard and really not much fun. It's hard because he feels pretty cut off from the world. His only link to the rest of the world is his cell phone which he can only use if he climbs a hill. He has no access to the internet, TV, or even newspapers! It sounds like a prison to me! (I mentioned earlier that he was lucky enough to get internet access for an hour. This was because he got to go to campus for a little while for an orthodontist appointment) Luckily, Dallin won't have to do something like this training again. From what I have heard from him, he is not enjoying himself in the least and cannot wait to come home.

I can't wait to come home either! I have been out here in Provo way too long, stuck in my amazingly luxurious apartment (haha). But, overall I am glad that I decided to do Spring term here at BYU. My classes have been amazing. I have really enjoyed them. I took LDS Marriage and Family, New Testament (the gospels), Financial Management, and Executive lectures. But I just feel like I have been out here in the BYU bubble just a bit too long. It's time for a change of scenery. And also, I miss Dallin (if you hadn't noticed). :)

Next week will be great. On the 18th Dallin will return back to Danville from New York, and I will be back in Danville on the 19th. I am so excited to have this whole summer with Dallin. It will be so nice to just relax together and be with our families. Often when we are able to  see each other we cram as much as we can into our days because we have such a limited time together. This summer we can just relax and not have to worry as much about time.

Well, there's my first try for a blog entry. Unfortunately my life is not that interesting right now, or else I would write more! But basically to sum it up... I love Dallin. We are so excited to be engaged to each other and eventually married! And I am so looking forward to this summer of 2009 that I get to spend with him!

This is me and Dallin a couple of weeks ago when we went to the Timpanogos Caves.

No comments: