Monday, August 10, 2009

Freshman orientation




So today the newbies arrived, or as we call them, the New Cadets. They are not yet even plebes, so needless to say they are the bottom of the foodchain. I decided to have fun with them for a change.


They just completed a rather grueling 7 week basic training course, and this afternoon when they arrived they had just completed a 15 mile ruck march through the rugged, humid, West Point area. To contrast, I just completed an awesome 7 week break at home with Allison...


But I remembered that I too went through what they are 5 years ago, so I decided to be a little nasty....some of them handled the stress of my questioning better than others. No tears were shed of course, but I think there level of stress was increased as they had a firstie in their face asking them, in a semi-polite fashion, to recite memorized quotes that they were supposed to know. It was kind of fun.
The move back here went fine. I slept most of the flight and arrived at West Point about noon yesterday. It is hard without Allison, I miss her a lot, and am not looking forward to the next 9 months of long distance, but we will make it just fine. I just can't wait till we get married and don't have to do distance anymore!!!
Ahhh, it is so humid, I am going to try and find a way to cool off....A/C sure would be great!
Dallin

2 comments:

Vindie said...

you don't have AC? yikes. have fun hazing!

Travis Neal said...

We have family history in Eureka? I know mom's family lived there, and isn't grandpa buried in Ferndale?