Well,
Back in August I thought that I would begin a blog in order to replace the emails which I sent every week on my mission to my Mom which were sort of weekly updates on my life, what I was going through, and what was on my mind. Writing those emails forced me to reflect on the week and more often than not I would be able to recognize the Lord's hand in my life more because of my writing.
So now it is January 4th, and I haven't written anything since September, four months ago. So much has happened since then, but I can summarize that period pretty quickly so here goes...
Remember that girl I met in July, you know, the one that was set up by my Dad, well between now and then I have fallen in love with her. She has become my best friend. She has been a beacon of light in an otherwise difficult time in my life.
Coming off of my mission was difficult as it always is for everyone. But I was deceived into thinking that Satan had forgotten about me, that somehow I had slipped under his radar and was home free. But as last semester moved on I became more and more upset and unhappy. There was so much going on around me that I didn't have any control over and this stressed me out to no end. This kind of peaked the day before I was to come home for Christmas. There was a looming storm coming east and flights were being cancelled left and right. As I faced the possibility of spending the weekend sleeping in Newark Airport instead of with my family and Allison a feeling of helplessness came over me. Thankfully I got out late Friday night with just a few hours lost. But that night and the coming weeks I learned a lesson that I know the Lord has been trying to teach me these past few months.
I am in the Army. I go to West Point. Allison goes to BYU. We can't be together every day. These are things that I cannot change. They are out of my sphere of influence. Up until a few days ago I had surrendered to unhappiness over my current state. But a few nights ago as I sat next to Allison in the parking lot at Charlotte Wood something my Dad had said to me a while ago came to my mind. As we sat there both she and I were struggling with the idea of being apart again. But then it came to me, this is Satan trying to get us. Satan wants us unhappy, the Lord wants us to be happy. We can choose to be happy or unhappy. It is up to us!! All of this time I have been content with being unhappy when Allison is not at my side, but I don't need to be.
True I miss her, true right now I miss the feeling of her fingers in mine, but that doesn't take away for the amazing relationship that we have together. That doesn't change the way that I feel when I look into her eyes. Both her and I need to focus on the good and the positive in our lives.
She is so amazing by the way. Never before have I been treated so well by any person in my life. She shows me that she loves me when I can tell that she really cares how I feel, when she puts my needs in front of her own. She is beautiful. She is funny. She understands me (most of the time). I couldn't ask for more. I have been looking for her for so long.
So here I am, sorry for the rambling. It is Sunday night, just got back from California, and I am getting ready to start another semester at West Point. Last semester went very well by the way, my GPA ended up at 4.198 or 4.2. This semester looks promising, my schedule has me in class every morning from 7:30- 11:30 with afternoons free. Allison will be out here in just over 2 weeks, I have much a much better living set up, the days are getting longer, and I have the most amazing person in my life. Life is good.
We are that we might have joy. And I am tired of putting off the time when I can be happy to later, lets make it now. I am going to be happy now, even though Allison is not here, even though I am at West Point.
Choose to be happy, that is my motto right now. And now I am going to watch an episode of The Office, talk to Allison, and then go to bed. I will be posting at least once a week from now on, I promise.
-Dallin
Back in August I thought that I would begin a blog in order to replace the emails which I sent every week on my mission to my Mom which were sort of weekly updates on my life, what I was going through, and what was on my mind. Writing those emails forced me to reflect on the week and more often than not I would be able to recognize the Lord's hand in my life more because of my writing.
So now it is January 4th, and I haven't written anything since September, four months ago. So much has happened since then, but I can summarize that period pretty quickly so here goes...
Remember that girl I met in July, you know, the one that was set up by my Dad, well between now and then I have fallen in love with her. She has become my best friend. She has been a beacon of light in an otherwise difficult time in my life.
Coming off of my mission was difficult as it always is for everyone. But I was deceived into thinking that Satan had forgotten about me, that somehow I had slipped under his radar and was home free. But as last semester moved on I became more and more upset and unhappy. There was so much going on around me that I didn't have any control over and this stressed me out to no end. This kind of peaked the day before I was to come home for Christmas. There was a looming storm coming east and flights were being cancelled left and right. As I faced the possibility of spending the weekend sleeping in Newark Airport instead of with my family and Allison a feeling of helplessness came over me. Thankfully I got out late Friday night with just a few hours lost. But that night and the coming weeks I learned a lesson that I know the Lord has been trying to teach me these past few months.
I am in the Army. I go to West Point. Allison goes to BYU. We can't be together every day. These are things that I cannot change. They are out of my sphere of influence. Up until a few days ago I had surrendered to unhappiness over my current state. But a few nights ago as I sat next to Allison in the parking lot at Charlotte Wood something my Dad had said to me a while ago came to my mind. As we sat there both she and I were struggling with the idea of being apart again. But then it came to me, this is Satan trying to get us. Satan wants us unhappy, the Lord wants us to be happy. We can choose to be happy or unhappy. It is up to us!! All of this time I have been content with being unhappy when Allison is not at my side, but I don't need to be.
True I miss her, true right now I miss the feeling of her fingers in mine, but that doesn't take away for the amazing relationship that we have together. That doesn't change the way that I feel when I look into her eyes. Both her and I need to focus on the good and the positive in our lives.
She is so amazing by the way. Never before have I been treated so well by any person in my life. She shows me that she loves me when I can tell that she really cares how I feel, when she puts my needs in front of her own. She is beautiful. She is funny. She understands me (most of the time). I couldn't ask for more. I have been looking for her for so long.
So here I am, sorry for the rambling. It is Sunday night, just got back from California, and I am getting ready to start another semester at West Point. Last semester went very well by the way, my GPA ended up at 4.198 or 4.2. This semester looks promising, my schedule has me in class every morning from 7:30- 11:30 with afternoons free. Allison will be out here in just over 2 weeks, I have much a much better living set up, the days are getting longer, and I have the most amazing person in my life. Life is good.
We are that we might have joy. And I am tired of putting off the time when I can be happy to later, lets make it now. I am going to be happy now, even though Allison is not here, even though I am at West Point.
Choose to be happy, that is my motto right now. And now I am going to watch an episode of The Office, talk to Allison, and then go to bed. I will be posting at least once a week from now on, I promise.
-Dallin
1 comment:
I'm glad you're going into the new semester feeling optimistic! Hope you have a great first day of school on Thursday!
Post a Comment